Followers

Thursday 16 April 2020

Virtual Pub Crawl



Blue Anchor


I don't know about everyone else but being in lockdown is finally getting to me.

Surprisingly(going from the title of this post) I'm not really missing the pubs that much. Neither am I missing the shops and restaurant etc.

What I'm missing the most is the freedom to go where I want, locally, by car(within reason).

I may have a rant about this later.

Fortunately Claire has a couple of decent push-bikes in the garage and one of them is electric!

I have therefore decided to begin a virtual pub crawl around the bars and pubs in the Southport area.

They must be within pedalling distance as I may use my old Brompton when I'm feeling the need for extra exercise. They should also ideally be pubs that I would frequent when open. However, I have decided to do this crawl in alphabetical order; so the odd crap pub will inevitable be included to fill un the gaps(I can't find a Q, X or Y pub yet).

I will appreciate any comments and corrections offered to my opinions posted.

A is for the Blue Anchor

Not a good pub to start with as I don't think I've ever been in it. I don't think it's in the beer guide so I don't know anything about it and I can't really offer an opinion. It was chosen simply because we past it on our way out to see the B pub.

Beer Den
B is for the Beer Den

This is a pub I have been in and I like it...a lot.

It's a new micro-pub that occupies what used to be a computer shop.

It's only small but it sells excellent beer from Parker's Brewery. The beer is well kept and very cheap compared to other pubs in town.

My mate David is a regular, so it must be good!

I have no humorous tales to tell of riotous times spent here, but it is definitely on my list of the first 6 pubs I'll visit when the"All Clear" is rung in Southport.

There are lots of other pubs/bars beginning with the letter "B" including(one of my favourites) the Bottle Room on Lord St; but for it's cheap beer and for looking after David during a difficult year The Beer Den gets selected for "B".

I'll be off pedalling to my C and D pubs soon.

Minor Rant

When will I be "allowed" to drive 10 minutes down the road to walk my dogs?

For 3 weeks we have diligently obeyed the rules and taken our dogs for a walk without using our van. This means that we have to walk for 10 minutes along narrow pavements, having to cross over several times to avoid people who refuse to cross over for us, so that we can finally let the dogs off the leads only to have to put the leads on again because they are small children kicking footballs about in the centre of the field!

My friends on Facebook, on the other hand, are able to drive to local country paths to enjoy a daily walk in peace and tranquil locations without having to the run the gauntlet on local pavements.

When will Boris and his mates get a nationwide ruling broadcast on whose rules we are following?  

If we can drive for 10 minutes from our cottage we can enjoy a walk without  having to avoid people on bikes or people glued to their phones. The dogs will be able to have a good run without tugging constantly on their leads and we will be able to look out for swallows and swifts(expected at any time) rather than looking out for people's manic dogs that are "only saying hello" and pram drivers who roam the streets like Ben Hur out for a drive with his mates!


Minor rant concluded....for now. 





















No comments:

Post a Comment

L is for Lakeside Inn The World Famous Wrigley head Morris Men outside the Lakeside Inn The Lakeside Inn in Southport will always be one of ...